Product Matrix?

May 17, 2010 at 3:38 PM
I noticed that there are 4 versions of Snoop. If I have a 64-bit OS, do I need all four? For example, since I have a 64-bit OS, do I even need to bother with the 32-bit versions or will the 64-bit versions correctly snoop a 32-bit app? Also, if I have VS 2010 (.NET 4) installed on my 64-bit machine, can the 64-bit .NET 4 version of Snoop be used against a 32-bit .NET 3.5 app on the same box, or do I at least need the 3.5 AND 4.0 versions? Thanks in advance, Jim
May 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM

The simple answer is yes ... you do need all four versions.

In fact ... I am running a 64-bit operating system ... and I have both .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0 installed ... so I am running exactly what you brought up as an example.

Some additional info: you should use the 32-bit version of Snoop to run applications that are running as 32-bit (and similarly for 64-bit). It doesn't depend on the operating system. That is ... some applications will continue to run as 32-bit on 64-bit operating systems. It all depends on how the application is configured to run. If you go to your task manager (on the processes tab), the image name is appended with *32 for all applications running as 32-bit.

As to the .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0 versions of Snoop ... I have noticed that usually you have to use the .NET 4.0 version of Snoop for applications built on top of the .NET 4.0 version of the framework.

Hope that helps!