Snoop utility for WPF apps not working - does it support WPF 4?

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I have a WPF 4 application running on XP. When I run snoop it picks up the application, however when I click on "snoop this application" nothing happens. Also when I click on the magnify glass nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Do you have .NET 4.0 installed on this XP machine?

I believe Snoop only needs .NET 3.5 SP1 to run ... but if you are Snooping a WPF 4.0 application, you will also need .NET 4.0 installed.

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Just reread my answer ... you must have .NET 4.0 installed ... if the application is running at all. So ... that can't be it.

I would suggest downloading the source code and trying to debug it. Usually, when you click 'Snoop this Application' and nothing happens, then there is some exception, scenario, whatever ... that is stopping the main Snoop UI from coming up.

Let me know how it goes ...

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I have a XP Virtual PC with .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0 installed (no development environment ... i.e. Visual Studio 2008 or 2010) and I created a simple WPF 4.0 application and tried to Snoop it.

Snoop can see the application, but for some reason the ManagedInjectorLauncher32-4.0.exe crashes. So, it seems as if I'm having problems on XP too.

Another thing to note, though, is that it isn't crashing silently ... like yours is.

I'm going to see if I can get a development environment going in a separate Virtual PC and see if I have still have this problem.

I still recommend trying to debug it yourself too. Good luck. And again, let me know if you find anything out.

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:57 PM

thanks - turns out I somehow downloaded the tool from a site that didn't have the latest version (can't remember which site now) - after downloading from codeplex it now is working - thanks

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM

What? You didn't download it from CodePlex?! Shame on you! :-) Just kidding ... I'm glad it is working for you.

Although, I quite don't know why it isn't working for me.

Just curious ... but do you have Visual Studio installed on that Windows XP machine that your are Snooping on?

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:34 AM

yes - and I have noticed that snoop shows me two entires, one for Visual Studio & one for the stand alone installation of the application I'm running.  Still not sure what the Zoom button/feature does...

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 12:47 AM

What your seeing in the Snoop app chooser makes sense (i.e. an entry for Visual Studio and an entry for your application).

Hmm. If anyone else is reading this ... and they have gotten Snoop to work on an XP machine ... with no development environment (Visual Studio) ... please reply! I'm starting to wonder if Snoop needs something installed with the development environment ... in order to run on Windows XP.

Zoom brings up a dialog with the whole application selected, allowing you to zoom in and out on it. If you use the Zoom button from within the main Snoop UI ... it will bring up the dialog with only the visual that you have selected in the visual tree.

I take it ... that the Zoom button doesn't work for you? Given that you say you still aren't sure what the Zoom button does? If it is working for you ... but you quite don't know your way around ... due to the outstanding (sarcasm) documentation available at the CodePlex site ... check out Pete Blois' site for some info on how to use Snoop: http://blois.us/Snoop/

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:02 AM

within the main window I can see how the specific element you select is visualized, however in terms of the usage of the Magnify button on the thin snoop main window that opens I'm still not sure about this.  I no stage do I get a magnify glass with an ability to zoom in and out - but perhaps this wasn't intended.

PS stick stuck re this one http://wpf.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=227264  if you have a moment  :)

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I already responded to your charting issue. :-)

In regards to the Snoop magnify window (or Zoomer) ... the user experience could be improved. Heh. Use your mouse wheel and it will zoom in and out.

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM
cplotts wrote:

Hmm. If anyone else is reading this ... and they have gotten Snoop to work on an XP machine ... with no development environment (Visual Studio) ... please reply! I'm starting to wonder if Snoop needs something installed with the development environment ... in order to run on Windows XP.

Okay, everyone ... I've figured out what the problem here is. With some help by a colleague and ProcessMonitor ... I discovered that when Snooping WPF 4.0 applications ... you need to have the MSVC C Runtime assemblies installed (in particular, the MSVC++ 2010 redistributables). If you're running Snoop on a machine with Visual Studio already installed, you will have these already. However, if you are trying to debug an application where the development environment is not installed, you may not have it.

Here are the links to the redistributables:

x86: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

x64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=BD512D9E-43C8-4655-81BF-9350143D5867

Maybe, I will try and roll this into the installer at some point.

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.