Not able to snoop 4.0 application

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I recently upgraded our WPF 3.5 application to WPF 4.  I had been using Snoop 2.6.0 (downloaded from CodePlex) for quite some time prior to upgrading.  Since the upgrade our application does not appear in the list of snoop-able applications.  Any help in getting Snoop to work would be greatly appreciated as I have come to depend on it.

Some additional information: 
1. Our application is not 100% .Net 4.  All of the WPF assemblies are 4.0, but we have some assemblies that are still 3.5 and will be for some time.
2. Our app is set to build x86 instead of Any CPU.  I seem to recall playing with WPF 4 at one point and this played a role, but I could be remembering wrong.
3. Clicking Refresh in Snoop sometimes causes a strange app to be listed.  It comes up as " - Idle[0]".  Don't remember ever seeing this in the list before.
4. Running on Win 7 64

Ok.  I hate submitting questions like this if I haven't tried fixing it myself at least a little bit.  I tried running our application from Windows Explorer.  That appears to work.  So, I cannot snoop our application when I run it in debug mode from Visual Studio.  Perhaps that will help someone narrow it down.  I am at least relieved that I can snoop again, but would love to be able to once again snoop from debug.

David Martin

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM

The likely cause of your problem is that Visual Studio is running as administrator ... and therefore when you launch your application from Visual Studio ... it is also running as administrator.

You can only Snoop elevated applications, if you first run Snoop elevated.

So, run Snoop as administrator, and then try and Snoop the application you've launched from Visual Studio. Or ... don't run Visual Studio as administrator, and Snoop normally.

Let me know, if this was indeed your problem. If not, we'll dive deeper on it.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Yes, thank you very much.  This worked perfectly.  And I doubt I would have tried that tack.

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Excellent. Glad it worked!