Snoop not recognizing application

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Hi,

I downloaded Snoop 2.6.1 and installed it on my Win7, 32 bit, system.  It only recognizes Visual Studio 2010 as a valid application.  I can't get it to find our product applications or any of the MS applications that come with Win7 (notepad, calculator etc.)  I also downloaded a .Net application from the web (Paint .Net) and it wouldn't recognize that either.

Couple questions:

1. I've looked at the documentation and the discussions and I saw that in some cases Snoop has problems finding applications.  I've investigated the workarounds for this without any success.  Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what might be wrong?  Does Snoop produce a log etc. that might be used for debug?  Is there a description of the types of applications that Snoop will recognize?  Something like Snoop only finds applications made with WPF controls that also have X implemented...

2. Is there a free .Net applicaton on the Web that I can as a test.  I'm looking for an application that Snoop always recognizes just to determine if the problem is specific to my machine. 

Thanks

Jeff

Coordinator
Jul 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Have you downloaded and built the most recent source code and tried using that?

Is the application you are trying to Snoop running elevated (As Administrator) ... but Snoop is not elevated? This is the most likely scenario as this happens all the time to people and I get a lot of questions on it.

Adding logging to Snoop is high on the list of to do items ... but unfortunately, there is no log yet.

Snoop only debugs WPF applications, not general .NET applications. Paint.NET is a Windows Forms, general .NET application ... not a WPF application. That is why Snoop won't work for that. Snoop simply looks for the main WPF assemblies in a process that you are trying to Snoop. If it finds them, it allows you to Snoop it.

I would point you to http://familyshow.codeplex.com/ as an example application that you can Snoop.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM

cplotts,

Thanks for the quick reply and the information about how Snoop does its snooping.  Unfortunaley, my problem is related to our applications use of winform and not WPF.  I installed and ran FamilyShow and Snoop found it right away.

Jeff

Coordinator
Jul 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

There are other spying applications for Windows Forms applications ... I personally use wfSpy (http://www.cplotts.com/2009/10/28/an-ode-to-wfspy/) and Hawkeye (http://hawkeye.codeplex.com/).

If you are a .NET 4.0 application, the version of wfSpy at my blog doesn't work ... I have yet to upload the .NET 4.0 version to CodePlex. If that is your case, you could try Hawkeye first (although it is a little harder to use) ... or if you give me an email address, I could send you the converted .NET 4.0 project directly.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Our application is .Net 4..0.  I just sent you my email address.  I'll checkout wfSpy and Hawkeye.  Thanks for the tip.

Jeff