Snooping a MessageBox

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM

My application throws up a modal dialogue. Specifically a MessageBox from the WPF Extended Toolkit

I don't seem to be able to 'Snoop' it and was wondering if this is possible.

Thanks!

Developer
Nov 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Did you try opening the modal dialog, and THEN snooping? In other words, don't snoop until you open the dialog. If this doesn't work, would you be able to upload a sample application?

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I might be having the same problem with a custom control that extends Popup. I see the Button that I click to make this show up, but nothing about the Popup or the ItemsControl in that, etc.

I did as you requested, snooping after the popup was shown. Dropping the cross-hairs on the popup didn't do anything and the extra window doesn't show up in the combo box, but I don't know if that is relevant.

I compiled from the 2.7 source, so I know I have the latest. :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Searched again and found the thread about popups: http://snoopwpf.codeplex.com/discussions/215765

Sorry for polluting the post with non-related content.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Apologies for the late reply. 

It sounds like the same problem to me, when I drop the cross hair onto the popup I get only the application beneath. Using Ctrl + Shift I cannot get the red border to appear on the popup or any other part of the application when the popup is up. When I dismiss the popup Snoop works fine for the rest of the UI.

I am sure this is a limitation in my understanding of the visual tree and how Snoop works, I suspect the popup is somehow not in the structure which Snoop sees as the core application UI definition. I will add a sample application if there is more interest, I debugged the UI for the popup the old school way so this is not blocking me.

Just wanted to add the Snoop is amazing - it's helped me so much.

Developer
Dec 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Hi gavaiken,

We would be very happy to look at a sample application if you have one to verify whether snoop has an issue in this case. And there were times when snoop had issues with it. If you upload a sample application that shows the problem in snoop, we will definitely take a look.

We're glad snoop helped you. It helped me a lot to :-).

Thanks,

Maciek