Cannot create an abstract class Exception

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Hello Snoop WPF team!

I am using your outstanding tool to debug all sorts of WPF apps, both commercial and not-for-profit, however I noticed a problem with it on one app in particular.

If you have the time to test this out, please download the installer for SciChart - a High Performance WPF Chart. The installer contains a compiled WPF example application (under Start -> Abt Software -> SciChart -> Launch SciChart WPF Example) which when run, if you snoop the X or Y Axis crashes with the message "Cannot create an abstract class"

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

the class hierarchy is as follows

ContentControl

^

<<abstract>> AxisBase

^

NumericAxis

I'd prefer to keep AxisBase abstract if possible. is there anything else I can do to help this?

Developer
Apr 13, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Hi Andy,

We're glad you like Snoop (a guy by the name of Pete Blois was the original author though). I see what the problem is. We will put in a patch this weekend (hopefully). It looks like it's related to this issue:

http://snoopwpf.codeplex.com/workitem/6258

However, after I installed a certain update (I forget which one), the issue wasn't happening anymore. However, I'm pretty sure we can still fix this issue.

Thank you for posting, and you should hear back very soon.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Edited Apr 13, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Hey there, no problem and glad to hear you can fix this! Kudos to you guys. Snoop is a fantastic tool and used worldwide by individuals and corporations alike.

I'm in no rush, just thought I'd raise the issue.

You know this crash bug got me thinking a useful feature would be a "DontSnoopMe" attribute, to prevent people looking in parts of your code you don't want to see ^_^

Developer
Apr 15, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Hi Andy,

I made a fix to the issue. The issue your application causes used to happen, but does not anymore (http://snoopwpf.codeplex.com/workitem/6258). I think it may be an update, although I am not sure. Nevertheless, I did fix the issue to account for not having the latest framework, and checked in the code. However, you'll have to build the code (which should be very easy), or wait for the next build.

Thank you for bringing up these issues. We are happy to assist in any issues you are having.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM

That's great news, thanks for the update!