Snoop issues with Prism applications

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone has seen an issue when snooping a WPF application that is usign prism? when I drop the cross hairs on any of its windows, it does not go much further than displaying the shell and the grid inside it. I can't drill down any more to resolve any of the windows that make up the app.

I tried both snoop 2.7.1 and the latest 2.8 release. I am new to this team and It does not appear that they are fully using prism in the implementation (other than the bootstrapping and event aggregator) ... there does not seem to be any traces of using regions. They do use a Shell in the app.
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 7:56 PM
That is interesting. I get this issue, but not on WPF applications. It happens when I'm snooping a Windows Phone emulator. It just gets the outer shell, but the other stuff seems to run in another process or appdomain. My first question would be this: Is this a regular WPF application? It really shouldn't matter if you're using PRISM.

Second, do you think it's possible for you to send a sample app that reproduces the problem? We always love it when we get repro apps because it enables us to fix the problem extremely quickly. However, most of the time it seems to be some weird edge-case scenario with a large enterprise app where it's mixing in some things (by accident) that don't mesh well together.

Also, the size and complexity of the application should not matter for Snoop. We are able to Snoop Visual Studio itself as well as Expression Blend. We encounter no difference when Snooping these very-large applications (and I doubt that many people's applications are larger scale than those).
Apr 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Yes it is a native WPF application. Unfortunately, I can't post the code due to company restrictions. It is a fairly sizable enterprise level application.

I have never tried (knowingly) snooping a prism based application before. Yes I have looked at Visual studio in snoop, and it works great there. I have some sample WPF-Prism applications that I was playing with at home, i will try to snoop those and see if I get the same issue. I suspect those will work, and as you suggest, the issue is probably some weird edge case.
Developer
Apr 18, 2014 at 4:56 AM
Let us know what you find when/if you get a chance to test on your own time.