Red Highlighted Property?

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Just a quick question - I have drilled into a ComboBox element in my app (64-bit, 4.0 .net - awesome job guys!), and my ItemsSource and SelectedItem are both highlighted in red.  Could someone let me know what the red highlight signifies?  (And if this documented somewhere, let me know so I can read up!)

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Thanks for the nice feedback and glad to hear that my 64-bit/WPF 4.0 version helped you out. Always good to hear your efforts make a difference.

The red signifies a binding error. As you can see in the following screen shot, there is even a column called 'Binding Errors' that gives you a clue as to what is wrong:

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I'm just trying out Snoop on an app, and I have a problem with my binding, in that the values aren't showing up in the textboxes.

I fired up Snoop and located the textbox. The Text property is shown in red, like in your snapshot above, but the binding errors column is blank.

How do I find out what the errors are? If I right click and choose Delve, it just shows me the length property, which is zero as the data hasn't come through. If I choose Delve Binding, everything looks fine, no red at all.

Any ideas? Thanks

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM

First off, choosing 'Delve' ... will delve the property itself ... while choosing 'Delve Binding' will delve the Binding object. So, in other words, 'Delve' on the property itself won't help you in your quest to figure out what is wrong with your data binding.

Choosing 'Display Binding Errors' will bring up a Window with the Binding Error information ... however this right-click menu item won't be available if there is no information displayed in the 'Binding Errors' column ... like you are observing.

I've noticed that sometimes there isn't Binding Error information available. I quickly checked one such situation off the top of my head ... and in that situation there wasn't a DataContext properly specified. Maybe that is your issue?

Hope that helps,

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I was passing an entity into a window, but I forgot to do anything with that entity, so the data context was empty!

Thanks for the reply.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Glad to help! And glad it was that simple ... versus a bug in Snoop!