property values not displaying?

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Is Snoop supposed to show useful property value information? For instance, the name of a style instead of System.Windows.Style, so you can see the style that's being picked up?

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Ha! I hope it shows useful property information for the most part!

But, yes, you are right, it doesn't show the value of x:Name or the x:Key attributes. This is something to look into adding to Snoop. I might just create a work item for that.

(By the way, Snoop does show the Name property from FrameworkElement and FrameworkContentElement ... but because Style is derived from DispatcherObject, it doesn't use that property as the RuntimeNameProperty.)

One thing that I do personally ... to help me determine what style is being picked up ... is to right-click on the Style property and select 'Delve'. This causes Snoop to put the current inspection context on a stack, and then to inspect the Style property itself. You can then continue delving into the Setters collection and then into each particular Setter to see what property is getting set ... and what value is getting set on that property. Note that there is another button in the Snoop interface to pop the stack, replacing the previous inspection context as the current one.

I hope that helps!

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 8, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Thanks for making the work item and the explanation. Non-developers don't understand many of these details and they use these tools also.