Snoop window never appears on Windows 7 x64 under Terminal Services

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM

The application consumes roughly 20% CPU indefinitely, but no UI ever shows.

There is another discussion here about problems running under Terminal Services that suggests that the UI appears after several minutes. So I let it run all night and still no UI.

I will try downloading the sources and running in the debugger to see where the application gets stuck, and contribute a code fix if I am able to resolve the issue. I am curious if anyone else had had similar experiences.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Hmm. What do you mean by Terminal Services?

When I remote desktop into another machine (mstsc.exe ... or Microsoft Terminal Services Client) ... I have no problems bringing up Snoop and seeing the properties window when I Snoop a particular app.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Yes, Remote Desktop.

In this specific situation, I am connecting through a Citrix gateway that launches Remote Desktop Connection on an XP machine. Then I connect to my dev machine that is running Win 7 x64. I doubt that part is relevant.

In the Issue Tracker, there is another user that reports problems running on Terminal Services (which is the old name for the tech that powers Remote Desktop Connection and a lot of people still call it that).

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Here is a link to the issue I was referring to:

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Thanks for posting a link to that old issue. I had forgotten about it.

This might go without saying, but ... you might try using his code snippet to see if it improves the situation at all. Although, if you let it run all night ... it's probably hung somewhere.

One question ... do you ever see the Snoop application chooser (the thin blue UI that allows you to choose which app to Snoop) ... or is it ... that you don't see the main Snoop UI after trying to Snoop a particular app?

Please post back on what you find ... I haven't had any issues, otherwise I would take a look myself.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I never see any UI at all.

Using the exact same entry setup described above, if I remote into my XP machine, I am able to run snoop with no problems. So I am thinking it is probably a platform API thing.

As soon as I have time, I will try running the code in debug mode and see if I can find the problem. In the meantime, I am intereseted in whether this affects anyone else on Win 7 or Vista in either x32 or x64.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Hmm. So ... XP to XP works ... but XP to Win 7 x64 doesn't. Interesting.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

BTW, this issue is fixed by retargeting the Snoop project to .NET 4 Client Profile. The rendering issue over Terminal Services was fixed in .NET 4.0.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I'm seeing this issue with Snoop 2.6.1 on my Windows 7 x64 system as well. Sometimes I can get the Snoop UI if I load a second version, but more than not, it never shows up.

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise
Snoop 2.6.1
.NET 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0
VS 2010 SP1
12gb Memory
2TB HDD space.
All windows updates as of 8/15/2011.

Update: I found the problem! All of my dev systems are on a switchbox. The system I was having issues with is a recent addition, and has a video card with two display ports as outputs. Since my switchbox does not support display port, I have to make sure that when I reboot the system, that I switch the input on my monitor to the display port, or I get no video output displayed on the monitor. Apparently this server was rebooted recently causing this scenario with no video. However, I can RDP to the system and use it fine which is how I do most of my work. When the display is not initialized on reboot, this apparently causes Snoop to have issues with its UI initialization. I rebooted the system and got the video initialized, then RDP'ed into the system again, fired up Snoop, and UI on the first load! WOOT! Its gonna be a good day! :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Edited Mar 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM
MarkSmeltzer wrote:
BTW, this issue is fixed by retargeting the Snoop project to .NET 4 Client Profile. The rendering issue over Terminal Services was fixed in .NET 4.0. Regards,
I know this is several years old ... but thanks Mark for your reply ... I just ran into this issue myself. Shows why forums can be useful!