Can't start a snoop session

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Snoop found my app, I selected it and clicked the snoop button and it did nothing. I checked the program files snoop dir for a log file and there was nothing. I tried debugging the app with throw on all CLR exceptions set but no exceptions were thrown when pressing the snoop button.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Try Snooping by dragging the white button beside the binoculars onto the application to be Snooped (it's been a new way of snooping). Also make sure you're running Snoop as administrator.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Same issue here. Run as admin also didn't work. I am testing fresh installed Windows7 x64 in VirtualBox VM-- Never had this problem with snoop before, but never tried in a VM. No log file I could find from listed troubleshooting instructions. It acts like its trying to attach (using the locator next to the binoculars) for about 5 seconds and then nothing happens. I also tried selecting from the combobox but it does not attach to the process. Tried installing D3D drivers and WDDM but that didn't help. Was running the executable over UNC to my build directory, didn't work, copied locally, didn't work. I think that log file is key, how do we turn it on? That will help identify what is going on. BTW, this is a tool that should be in any WPF developers toolbox. Fantastic program.
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Found the solution.... Installed 2010 SP1 ++ Runtimes... and it worked. Request: Could you static compile the runtimes with Snoop? Hope this helps someone else!
Aug 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM
@maciekrakowski - I tried but no joy unfortunately
@TravisWhidden - Thanks that sounds promising - will try this when I'm back in the office
Aug 30, 2013 at 5:56 AM
@TravisWhidden, thanks for the reply. I hope it helps.

Also, @jaorme, have you tried compiling Snoop and debugging it?
Sep 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Sadly, installing the runtime made no difference for me and I don't have any more time to investigate right now but when I need snoop again (probably in the near future) I'll try building & debugging it - thanks for your help :)